Sunday, September 30 will be the first ever Best Memphis Burger Fest. It’s scheduled for 10:30 am to 6:00 pm in the Minglewood Hall parking lot at 1555 Madison Ave., 38104. By the end of the festival, we’ll have crowned our own Best Memphis Burger, Best Memphis Veggie Burger, Best Memphis Anything But Burger and a Best Memphis Extreme Burger.
There’s another title to be awarded that day. One that doesn’t require any cooking or grilling. This one is all about eating, and to make things interesting, we’ve come up with a two-person relay. Most eating competitions are a one person event that someone like Patrick Bertoletti could come in and sweep. Instead, this is a two person, Kooky Canuck Kookamonga Burger eating race that requires both teammates to eat their share.
Yes you heard right. Best Memphis Burger Fest has teamed up with one of our sponsors, Kooky Canuck, to bring you the wildest 10 minutes of eating that any charitable team of two people could possibly imagine.
You might ask, what is a Kookamonga Burger? A Kookamonga Burger is Kooky Canuck’s signature 7.5 lb burger. It’s a 4 lb patty, on a 2 lb bun with 1.5 lbs of cheese and toppings. Not much really, just 12,387 calories of burger awesomeness!
So here’s the deal. Up to 10 teams of two people will be served a pre-weighed Kookamonga Burger straight from the kitchen of Kooky Canuck. When the first whistle blows, the competing teams will have 10 minutes to eat as much of the giant burger as they can. They don’t have to finish the Kookamonga. The key however is to eat more than the other competitors. When the second whistle blows, eating is over and the remaining plate contents will be weighed again and subtracted from the respective starting weight. The team that has eaten the most amount of a Kookamonga Burger in 10 minutes will be crowned Best Memphis Burger Fest Eating Champions and win a $100.00 cash prize and two $50.00 gift certificates to Kooky Canuck. All proceeds from the eating competition will benefit Mid-South Spay & Neuter Services.
There are rules for the Team Kookamonga Challenge:
- Must be 18 to compete.
- Entry is limited to the first 10 paid entrants.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Teams will consist of two eaters only.
- Contestants may not touch the Kookamonga Burger prior to the start of the competition.
- Both team members may eat from the 7.5 lb. Kookamonga Burger simultaneously.
- Teams may dunk food in liquid prior to eating.
- Vomiting or spitting out food will result in immediate disqualification.
- At the end of 10 minutes, the team that has eaten the most of their Kookamonga Burger will be declared the winner.
- Judges will be on hand to assure the adherence to contest rules; weigh the total amount of burger that has been eaten; and to disqualify contestants that refused to adhere to the rules.
To sign up for this competition, download the application and mail it along with the $25.00 entry fee to:
Best Memphis Burger Fest
c/o Mid-South Spay & Neuter Services
P.O. Box 11471
Memphis, TN 38111